Saturday, April 30, 2011

When Is It?

Regular readers will know that I have, over the years, had more trouble than most with when. I am good at how, what, why and where but as someone who used to write winter text in summer and vice versa I often became confused as to why it wasn't snowing in July when I took a coffee break.

This week has been disorientating. To begin with, any week that begins with a Bank Holiday Monday makes Tuesday feel like Monday and this confusion moves on by the day.

Then our church leadership team went away for 24 hours, Tuesday to Wednesday, so the marker of a Tuesday afternoon team meeting was lost. On Wednesday morning we noted that the Morning Prayer booklets we had taken with us did not, for complicated reasons, include Wednesday. As three of us take Friday as a day off we decided to use Friday Morning prayer on Wednesday.

Now there were good reasons for Wednesday to be either Tuesday or Friday.

I had gig tickets for Thursday night and so the last Thursday of the month invitation to a bunch of people for supper was moved a day early. They came on Wednesday. As I clear up afterwards and sit down with a glass of wine I usually look forward to my day off the next day. But the next day wasn't my day off. Thursday was, in my mind, either Friday, Wednesday or Saturday. Saying Morning Prayer for a Thursday would have helped but I forgot my glasses.

On Thursday evening my sons and their girlfriends arrived for a two day visit, which made it feel like the start of a weekend except they have just left today, Saturday, early to get back to work because they too have chosen careers with strange working hours.

Yesterday, Friday, was a Bank Holiday. That was two reasons for it to be a day off except that we part-hosted a street event for the Royal Wedding (watched it with the Twitter feed on - highly entertaining) and worked at the hosting thing for about six hours.

I am posting this in the hope that I will shortly realise it is actually Saturday and then manage to drag my scrawny, tired, over-stimulated body to church tomorrow at the correct venue. Tonight we have tickets for Comedy of Errors. Apt eh? Good morning.

4 comments:

Ray Barnes said...

At least you didn't put a question mark after Good Morning.
You clearly know day from night.
That's a start

Ray Barnes said...

At least you didn't put a question mark after Good Morning.
You clearly know day from night.
That's a start

Ray Barnes said...

I'm sorry about the duplicate comments. This keeps happening to me lately. I make my comment, press publish and it shows me an empty comment box and say "comment box must not be empty". or words to that effect. Hence the repeat which then appears twice.
Probably me but if not and there is some malign spirit in my lap-top I'd be gratefull for an exorcism ( if you have one handy).

RuthJ said...

Steve, we have special Wednesday Morning Prayer booklets which I provided at your especial request for the August Month of Prayer during the vacancy. But I forgive you for not remembering, because you have just provided a brilliant description of how my week felt. Thanks for the catharsis!