Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Strengths

My colleagues and I are all working our way through a book called Now, Discover Your Strengths by Marcus Buckingham. It includes a registration number for an on-line survey - you know, one of those questionnaires about your preferences without any wrong answers (yeah right) which ends up with a set of letters describing you.

I am often surprised to find how readily these answers fit with my profile of being a gemini, or two-faced, and once again 'adaptable' came up. But here are my top five strengths:

Strategic
Intellection
Maximizer
Adaptability
Connectedness

I think (not 'feel' note) that this may mean I am Dirk Gently.

Anyway here are some extracts from a rough desription of someone of my profile:

sort throught the clutter and find the best route
evaluate the potential obstacles
planning and reacting, planning and reacting
like to think
like mental activity
like exercising the 'muscles' of your brain, stretching them in multiple directions
enjoy time alone
like noise around me or can't concentrate
like the idea of solitary confinement
having found a strength feel compelled to nurture it
love to take something great and perfect it
build a sense of team spirit
live in the moment
don't see the future as a fixed destination but a place created out of today's choices
don't resent sudden requests or unforeseen detours
flexible
like pressure; makes me feel alive
deal with life better than most people
part of something larger
not isolated from the earth or those who live on it
must not harm others
must not exploit
accepting
bridge builder
strong faith in the face of life's mysteries

Well I know that is all very well and the weakness package that comes with this lot is immense but it is really quite pleasing. I do think this sounds like me. I recognise this person. So excuse me while I parachute myself into today and deal with whatever I find there, which has to be the best metaphor for my life I have ever found. How surprising is it that someone like me has a weblog?

Bit up-myself this morning.

How sad to note that Richard Whitely has consonant vowel vowel consonant. RIP.

No comments: