Monday, July 01, 2024

Things Can Only Get 40

I wonder who is writing the Tory’s attack ads. Just in the last couple of days I’ve noticed two which, it seems to me, have completely bombed.

The first involved insulting Angela Rayner on the back of a really sweet picture of her with Gordon Brown. The right wing press seems to have decided that we should hate Rayner but we are not responding as they expect. Maybe people like the idea that someone from her background could rise to be an MP and, possibly, Deputy Prime Minister.

The second was a response to Sir Keir Starmer suggesting that he would stop work at 6.00 p.m. on a Friday to spend time with his family. The attack suggested that he should never stop work whereas I think people would applaud someone who gave time to his children in the middle of a busy life. I had a busy job once but prioritised family life between late afternoon and early evening so we could eat together. And I took a day off every week without fail. There was also a system in place for getting hold of me in an emergency.

Many ordinary people are both aspirational and family-focussed. We don’t like that being attacked.

No comments: