Thursday, June 27, 2024

Things Can Only Get 36

I don’t know if you watched last night’s leader debate or if you got details from extracts, clips or the main news programmes. You will have seen a feisty debate but with neither man landing a killer blow. Quick feedback was that it ended 50/50.

What caught my attention was the question ‘Are you two the best that we can do?’ It was asked by a self-professing Conservative voter who, I would guess, misses the fleshpots of Boris. Felt rude.

Standing for high office is a demanding gig. I am impressed by anyone who has the stamina to campaign for several weeks. My Conservative candidate visited today. No-one came ahead to see if I wanted a chat. Just her and one colleague. They asked politely if I would vote for them. I said we would not. Hard work. Probably dispiriting. Leaving me they wished me a good rest of the day and I confess I offered them the opposite sentiment.

But I am glad we are still clinging, just about, to the possibility that you can be PM without being extrovert, charismatic and a professional entertainer. Government is a serious business. Hard work is acceptable enough without there being a particular way you have to do the job.

The greatest gift this election might give us is a period of time during which politics is dull and not especially newsworthy. Hope so. It will give the new government a little space in which to work.

No comments: