Saturday, May 25, 2024

Things Can Only Get 3

I have been trying to remember how many General Elections I have experienced, without cheating.

I was born in 1955 but the first general election I am aware of was the 1964 toppling of Sir Alec Douglas Home by Harold Wilson. I do recall Harold Macmillan being replaced by Lord Hume (who had to renounce his peerage to become PM and plain old Sir Alec).

Then there was another in 1966 which Wilson won but he lost to Ted Heath's Conservatives in 1970. In 1974 Wilson was back with a minority government, strengthened by another GE that same year. He handed over to Jim Callaghan and thereafter we had:

1979 Margaret Thatcher

1983 Thatcher

1987 Thatcher replaced by John Major

1992 Major

1997 Tony Blair

2001 Blair

2005 Blair replaced by Gordon Brown

2010 David Cameron coalition government with Nick Clegg's Liberal Democrats

2015 Cameron replaced by Theresa May

2017 May minority government replaced by Boris Johnson

2019 Johnson replaced by Liz Truss replaced by Rishi Sunak

I first voted in 1974. Got two chances that year, aged 19.

Look it up if you want and see how good my memory is.

I have always voted since, even if I was voting for the least worst. Vox pops of people saying they won't vote because politicians are all the same really annoy me. Really annoy me. It's your life these people are in charge of and fundamentally politics is about who dies. They are not all the same. They may decide that you die earlier than you wish.

Meanwhile, in the campaign, it seems that Rishi is taking a day to meet with advisors. My advice - try to be human. In his party Redwood and Gove have decided enough is enough. At least Portillo stood there and took it on the chin in 97.

1 comment:

Michael Kohl said...

"They may decide that you die earlier than you wish."
A great way to phrase deliberate health inequalities.