Monday, February 11, 2013

Ministerial resignations and poor decision-making

I'm a bit of a late-comer to the Huhme-kicking ball but if you would allow me to have a tired toe-poke at the body I'd be grateful. I also want to discuss something that hasn't been much mentioned.

I have a friend who says he would not vote for anyone who stood for office having committed adultery. If they can't keep their promises to their spouse why believe their promises to their constituency? That was his argument. I'm not sure I'm quite so demanding.

But let's forget the ethics. Huhme ethics and mine are not living on the same continent. Or maybe, fair enough, we just sin differently. If you're power-hungry, and it sure sounds like he is, or should I say was, I imagine that the wayside will be cadaverous.

No, it's the decision-making. If you can get a ban because of one more speeding offence, having already stacked up nine points in three years, don't speed. I've been caught speeding three times in the last twelve years. It has slowed me down. In fact cut right down on your driving. Or get a driver. You're a self-made millionaire (amazing how many MPs over the last few weeks turn out to be loaded - we could do with a few more representatives who desperately need the salary and thus try harder not to get sacked). You can afford it.

Even if you've screwed up that decision big-time, if you are going to ask a friend to take the rap for something, don't choose a friend who may one day discover you've been deceiving them. And if you aren't currently deceiving them, don't start.

Political careers, with the possible exception of transport minister, can recover from a driving ban. They can make it back from adultery (maybe not minister for families). Lying is the one thing - the one thing - the House won't accept. So if the little lie, slow-cooked, added to, repeated and affirmed with menace, becomes a lie-casserole and you get found out? It's the end and not very tasty.

And Huhme had the cheek to talk, in his resignation speech, about putting to bed something that happened ten years ago. Forgetting that a lie stuck on continuous play has been repeated over and over. What was it like for those who listened and knew he was fibbing?

I am not condemning the man. I am not without sin. 'All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God' says my Bible. So there is no stone in my hand. I am condemning behaviour unsuitable for a person who seeks to lead me.

So no Mr Huhme. For me, disappointing as your lies and affair were, it wasn't the ethics. Although a hint of some may have helped. It was the decision-making. You could have admitted you were a bad driver and we would all have moved on. So glad we got you out of power.

I don't keep my promises and repeat my lies. Great manifesto strap eh?

No comments: