Friday, February 01, 2013

Day Off in Poshland

It is quite a long time since I found myself in a library at a different town using a strange computer to access the internet. I think internet cafes may be consigned to history soon, replaced by wi-fi and personal devices. Hard to believe I am feeling a strange sense of nostalgia for the internet cafe.

Witney is a strange little town. It is quite prosperous, although you might expect this for the Prime Minister's constituency. Away from the market town main street there are a couple of shopping centres, both clone town specials but one Crew/Monsoon/M&S and a showcase type cinema next to a Franky and Bennys, the other Robert Dyas, W.H Smiths and Cargo.

Found a belting little cafe for a full English breakfast and coffee. Bit pricey but atmosphere bang on right down to the 1980s Dire Straits, Z Z Top and Depeche Mode sound-track.

Have bought three books and three T-shirts and now, by the wonders of social media, may be meeting an old friend for a drink at lunch-time.

I had forgotten what a good thing it is to get out of town on my day off. It is also cheaper, although involving an early start, if I join my wife on a jaunt to wherever she is going. This is what I have done today and can enjoy being a complete stranger in town wandering about a bit.

The staff at the library have been very welcoming to a stranger and have logged me on easily, free and without question. I love my country sometimes.

Tonight we are meeting up with other friends from around the country, this time in Oxford, to have a meal and a drink and then see Milton Jones at the New Theatre. Hoping for a bit of amusement to start my holiday week.

I don't know quite why it is but I often seem to find that my phone, looking alive and healthy first thing in the morning, often turns out to need re-charging on a day when I am out and about without a charger. This is one of those days. I have a spare charger in my car and two in my study. None with me and not my car today either.

I found an M and Co (previously Mackays) who sell T-shirts I like. They were priced at £7 but on a display saying reduced to £5. When I came to pay there was 20% off making the bill £12. It is not the first time this has happened at this store. They need a policy, a bit like selling travel, of working out how much people are prepared to pay and taking that off them. I like these T-shirts and would probably have paid £25 for three.

Still, I then bought three books at about £8 each and it seems to me that books are worth twice as much as T-shirts so that is a bit of a result for small town economics.

My breakfast was massive and continues to satisfy me so it could be a no lunch just a pint day. Brilliant.

1 comment:

Sam Anderson said...

Although being in Poshland or around in this area is great and pricey meal also attracting people to taste their delicious meal during their trip, at least once.
meet and greet Gatwick