Friday, July 08, 2011

The Prodigal God

Very unusual for me to read, and rave about, a meditative Christian book but Tim Keller's The Prodigal God (Hodder 2009) is an exception. Thanks to Scott Smith for the heads up. He and I have been reading together for the last year and it has been helpful for me (and I'm the one supposed to be doing the helping).

The analysis of Luke 15 is very good but the application is astonishing. Some people, he argues, rebel against God by their very obedience.

I guarantee that at some point in the book you will find yourself saying 'I'm glad I'm not like other people.' And at some point in the book you will discover that you are.

For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. All. Wayward sons, obedient older brothers. All. That's 'all' right?

'The parable of the two sons neither of whom fully understood the extent of their father's love' was, I think, the snappy title Bob Clucas came up with once upon a day. Quite so.

It's only 135 pages of large print but is worth £7.99. I got it cheaper than that on Amazon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try his other book 'The Reason for God', equally astonishing writing.

Steve Tilley said...

Thank you anonymous person. Are you him by any chance?

Marcella said...

As someone who always identified (somewhat smugly) with the obedient elder son, I suspect this is a book I ought to read. I probably won't like it, but it will probably do me good. Hmm...