Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Big Blogger

St
Strewth you surprised me. How long you been in that cupboard?

BB
Not as long as some of the rubbish you have in here. Malta uses the Euro now you know.

St
Yeah, yeah good point. I expect you'll be nagging me about the state of my study too.

(Beat)

OK, the silent treatment. I'll de-clutter it.

BB
See that wasn't so bad. The longest of journeys starts with one step and all that.

St
Thing is I need more than a one step programme. I need to join de-clutterers anonymous. My name's St and I've been putting things down when I should throw them out for years.

BB
Why do you do that?

St
I don't know BB. I often put left-over food in the fridge for three days before chucking it. Likewise I put ex computer hardware on a shelf for three years for similar reasons. And of course some stuff just demands to be kept because one day it will become a training activity.

BB
Bag handles?

St
Same to you. But yes, bag handles come under that heading.

BB
That can't be the whole reason though.

St
You're right. In fact the busier I get the clutterier I become but in a minimalist household a lot of clutter gravitates towards my rooms.

BB
So, ten lines in and we get to the bottom of it. You're too busy.

St
I guess so. I hate to admit it but in my line of work it's a bit cyclical. To get things done, from time to time you have to be too busy. The knack is to accept the quieter times and relax rather than to go looking for things to do.

BB
Wise words St. If only you listened to them.

St
Ouch.

(Beat)

I love the way you just let the pain hurt rather than hugging and stuff.

BB
Hugging would make me feel better but it might stop you acknowledging your problem.

St
I also love the way we share a view of the world.

BB
So you can sing in harmony with the voices in your head. Don't be that proud.

St
Ouch

(Beat)

Ouch

(Beat)

Ouch

BB
Better?

St
Yes thanks.

Big Blogger is St's imaginary friend who pops along and puts him through the mincer every now and then when he needs to acknowledge his sins in public in order to change.

4 comments:

RuthJ said...

Dear St, you do not have the faintest, foggiest clue how to achieve clutter. Sorry!

Richard said...

Neither should you delude yourself that by putting things in a blog you have, in some way, made them public.

Caroline Too said...

I always enjoy Big Blogger's visits to your site, st... you should let him in more often... perhaps as a companion in your next book?

and I so agree with you and BB about hugging. sometimes I think that we invade others' struggles unnecessarily (have I spelt that rite?)

Steve Tilley said...

What would constitute making something public for you Richard?