Wednesday, February 02, 2011

And You Are?

One of the things I discovered was done at Holy Trinity and at Trendlewood, when I arrived here, was that all those leading services introduced themselves by name. I think, as well as simply being courteous, it writes into the liturgical DNA the idea that there may be visitors or newcomers. Not everyone here will know who I am. So I tell them. I now do it all the time - including weddings and funerals.

In the last four days I have been to the celebration of the opening of the new Baptist Centre in Nailsea and to the celebration of 25 years since St Francis Roman Catholic Church was dedicated. At neither event did the minster/priest leading the service introduce themselves.

5 comments:

Marcella said...

Good for you. It doesn't help newcomers to feel included if, right from the start, there's clearly something that everyone else knows and they done - even if it's just the vicar's name.

It also helps to guide people round the liturgy as well, rather than assuming that everyone knows you're on page 7 now...

Ian S-T said...

On a Sabbatical a few years back I worshipped at around 50 churches that I'd always wanted to go to. This was one thing that struck me very forcibly, since I was a visitor. A few times I guessed who was the senior minister - and got it wrong! Now I try to do this at all public events, but often get regulars saying "why did you do that? we know who you are!" even when standing next to a newcomer.

Dennis Croome said...

Steve you're spot on. It enables people to feel at home, comfortable and relaxed with their 'leader.' When I forget to say my name etc you can guarantee there will be new people or visitors present who may be thinking, 'who is this person leading the worship?'

Doug Chaplin said...

We do it slightly differently. (Of course!) One of our congregation welcomes people and says who they are. They also tell people who the president and preacher are. (and various other welcomey type things) Then they invite people to keep a few minutes silence before the worship begins.

Seems to work quite well.

RHK said...

A splendid idea. Were I to be in the terrifying position of having to do your job, anxiety-induced amnesia would necessitate presence of a prompter.

Oh, my name is, er, Rory Keegan (Mr Gnome is elsewhere.)

(The up-fronters at the splendid Holy Trinity Church, Stratford-upon-Avon, always self-ident.)