Sunday, February 28, 2010

Weird Stuff Said to Vicars

Today we had our annual memorial/thanksgiving service. It is good to have an event in the calendar to reconnect with those to whom we have had a funeral ministry. I don't normally do this but on such an occasion I tend to position myself at the door to welcome. A dog collar can, in some circumstances, be reassuring.

So, a lady arrives with a zimmer and needs to go to the loo so I leave my place at the outside door and open the toilet door for her. It is only a little way along the corridor. As I return I get completely in the way of a couple trying to come in through the door.

'Sorry, I say. 'I'm trying to be useful but I'm making a mess of it.'

As the couple wander into church one says to the other, 'I think that's the first time I've ever heard a vicar being honest.'

If you want to be a great vicar I remind you. The bar is set very low.

No comments: