Thursday, December 24, 2009

Fine Line

Well it's going to be a good day. But how close to not.

I woke still feeling grim but realised after a few minutes that I had a slot with the TV engineer from 8 -12 so better be up. I had a shower and ran the water for a shave. As I popped back into the bedroom to get something or other I noticed the engineer's van parked up outside.

They'd promised to text when they were on their way. Was he writing out a 'missed you' card? No, he was sitting in his van waiting for 8.00 a.m. I dressed hastily and at 7.56 a.m. the bell rang. He fixed the problem with a new set-top box and headed off for his five remaining Christmas Eve calls (let's hear it for repair people today).

As he left I did a bit of a body check (two of everything down the side one of everything down the middle as Steve Wright used to joke) and discovered I felt a bit better.

Going back upstairs to turn off lights and put towels away I heard running water. Oh no. The shaving water.

Which had in fact been running at the precise flow to allow the overflow to cope for 25 minutes. Hot water all drained out but no damp patches on ceilings. Hooray.

Thanks Virgin. Good word for today. I'm now going to finish my midnight communion sermon.

No comments: