Friday, January 30, 2009

Disgraceful

I once heard this grace:

In a world where many are lonely, we thank you for our company.
In a world where many are hungry, we thank you for our food.
In a world where many have no hope, we thank you for the good news of Jesus Christ.
Amen.

It works in a Christian community but, one day, searching for a grace to use at a wedding, I adapted it to:

In a world where many are lonely, we thank you for our company.
In a world where many are hungry, we thank you for our food.

In a world where many find conversations hard to start, we thank you for the wine.
Amen.

It got a laugh, avoided the minister sounding too pious, adopted the spirit of Cana and now I use it all the time. I need to stop, so I'm publishing it. Use it for free and I'll have to think of another one. Thanks.

3 comments:

Ali said...

nice one.

Maybe not for a wedding, but you might like to try 'bless this bunch as they munch on their lunch'

sort yer blog out

Kathryn said...

Thanks...I'd met the pious version but your revision is perfect for all too many parish events.

Anonymous said...

Try grace after meals:

TheLord be praised
my belly's raised
one inch above the table.
And I'll be damned
if I ain't crammed
as much as I am able.


I heard a clergyperson useit and it got a good laugh - though those who had drunk too much did mutter Amen!!