Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Hypocrisy

I was chatting to my fine, young colleague the other day - Robin to my Batman isn't right but I'll keep working on it - and found myself talking gibberish. I know, I know, no change there, but stick with me.

I was explaining how I did things and realised that I was a bit behind in actually doing them. For instance, how to keep records of your public speaking. What did you say, when and to whom? I have an excellent system which works best if every new presentation is immediately recorded. It has served me well for over 30 years but I haven't kept it up-to-date in the last three months. The more I don't, the bigger the job gets.

I was explaining how I like to keep my next four talks in my head. That way I am musing on what to say in four weeks time as well as fine-tuning this week's sermon. I was found out when asked what were the main themes of my talk a week on Sunday. I remembered I hadn't even looked at the title. Oops.

Today, I decided, was the day to get a grip. I will make sure I have my next four presentations in my head. OK, so what are they?
  • Tonight's opening Alpha talk on Jesus
  • Sunday morning harvest sermon at local free church
  • Sunday evening sermon on lust and adultery (that should be a hard one)
  • Monday's editorial work on parish profile
  • Tuesday's Alpha talk on faith, oh don't worry that's number five
I don't feel so bad now. I have my next four major presentations clear in my head but they are over six days not four weeks.

There is the vaguest hintette of a filing pile appearing which I will deal with at once. Thank you for your help.

2 comments:

Mike Peatman said...

can't believe you managed a double-entendre on a sermon list.

...actually I can

RHK said...

The relief - Mr Peatman saw the DE first!

Re Batman and Robin - there's a whole visual imagery involving tights and capes that I'm saving for next time I need a distraction in a dull meeting.

We love the word 'hintette'...