Saturday, September 27, 2008

Slowly Slowly

My advice to those about to walk down the aisle, in a rehearsal patter honed over many years and now resembling more of a tired stand-up routine than a practice, is to walk, 'Slow as you dare.'

I know it should probably be 'slowly.' Sorry grammar pedants.

Now usually I then have to say, 'Even slower than that,' when bride and father have their first go at this, and especially when bride and groom walk out together at the end. The tendency is to charge not stroll.

I think Jamie and Helen, to be married in a couple of hours time, may have found a solution to this. Their exit music is Vangelis' theme to Chariots of Fire. When I suggested last night that they might run out in mock slow motion, they embraced the idea enthusiastically. I'll let you know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I'm intrigued - what inspired them to choose that? Is one a runner?

A couple I know went out to the theme from Star Wars. The rest of the service had been very, very traditional, and it was a breath of fresh air when they did something that was so totally 'them'.

And I'm on the edge of my seat over whether Jamie and Helen had the guts to do it or not...

Steve Tilley said...

No they didn't. They just walked out normally as far as I could see.