Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Talk in the Bars

Say what you will about David Jenkins when he was Bishop of Durham but it was certainly true that, 'What do you think about what the Bishop thinks about God?' was a common opening question for a priest to be asked in the pubs of the north-east of England in the late 1980s.

Lunchtime today I walked into my local and the four guys around the bar, three of whom knew who I was, wanted to know what I thought about what Archbishop Rowan had said about Sharia.
An interesting conversation broke out about journalism, leadership and controversy.

I had to go off and have lunch with the person I was meeting but I guess there was the possibility of a good discussion opening up.

Maybe some good will come of this ridiculous row.

1 comment:

Chris said...

I guess the old salesman's maxim that any problem is really an opportunity is disguise is true here. As I'm working part time as a salesman I'll keep this in mind. Thanks for helping me with my job and evangelism.