Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The God Delusion 8

What's wrong with religion? Fundamentalism is Dawkins' answer. People who make the Bible inform their science rather than vice versa. He believes that 'think critically and biblically' is oxymoronic rather than two magisterium which inform each other.

If all theology was symbolic and allegorical he would, I believe, be content. Just. The possibility that there is some basis in history for Christianity seems to gall him rather. Meantime he beats up the anti-gay, anti-abortion, pro death penalty 'N. American taliban' as he calls them.

By the time I reached this chapter I had got his main point and he was becoming a sounding gong and a clanging cymbal. He thinks faith is evil. Anyway, the next chapter is about child abuse. Something to look forward to later.

By the way I'm reading again, and quickly, because I have new glasses and can see again. Should have gone to Specsavers earlier.

No comments: