Thursday, September 08, 2005

Very Short Stories

Unlikely to be any blogging for a few days due to foreseen circumstances so here is a little story to keep you entertained and coming back when I do:

Needles and Haystacks

How might you go about finding a needle in a haystack? A magnet or metal detector might be a good tool to have with you. Failing that a very fine system would be necessary for moving a haystack one piece at a time, always assuming that it is acceptable practice to make the top of one haystack into the bottom of another. At least the job is slightly easier than proving, categorically, that there is no needle, which we will call for simplicity’s sake the ‘Weapons of mass destruction’ problem.

No, however you look at it finding a needle in a haystack is a good image of difficulty but it can be solved by the simple application of the ‘butter-side-down’ problem of falling toast and carpets.

In order to find a needle in a haystack I would telephone my mother. ‘Hi Mum’ I would say chattily, ‘Guess what? I have found the most comfortable place to sit in the whole world. You must come over soon and sit with me on my haystack.’ Why I can almost hear her scream right now.

No comments: