Saturday, May 14, 2005

Democracy

If Tim Henman lost a Wimbledon final 7-6, 0-6, 7-6, 0-6, 7-6 would he argue that he should be given the title because he won by 30 games to 21? I think not. Would a side coming second in the Premiership argue that their superior goal difference should mean more than points? No.

So those who lost the election had cracking victories in the seats they won and narrowly lost the seats they lost. Doesn't mean they should win.

Don't worry. I am not in favour of first past the post. I want electoral reform and hope that the campaigns to get it bear fruit.

I simply observe the tendency of Conservatives to huddle together for warmth. If they want to win some of their narrowly lost seats back they will have to come and start living next door to people they don't agree with politically and argue the toss with us. There's never a Tory around to argue with when you want one.

As a postscript to the dog incident I have decided that if there is a bloke going round Lillington telling everyone he was picked on by a 'kin Tory then that is fine by me.

No comments: