Thursday, July 11, 2024

Smart Stuff

We have a Google home-hub. You activate it by saying 'Hey Google'. Walking into the kitchen first thing, if you say 'Hey Google, Good Morning' it says 'Good Morning', tells you the time, the weather and then a joke. A terrible joke. Followed by the latest BBC News.

A coupe of years ago we relocated. Google still opened with 'The weather in Bristol is...' I responded with 'What's the weather in Evesham today?' Then Google told me. I carried on for a few days, wondering how long it would be before Google learned to change its ways. It didn't.

So I asked the hub to reset its home to Evesham but got 'I'm sorry, that can't be done on this device. Here's a joke etc...'

I persevered with this request for a few days then gave up. My lover purchased it and set it up so I can't access the account.

Here's the thing. Smart devices learn, right? So now we have this dialogue every morning:

Me: Hey Google Good Morning

Home-Hub: Good Morning. The weather in Bristol is cloudy with a high of 19 degrees. I'm sorry that can't be done on this device. Here's a joke to start your day...'

So, I've learned not to ask but Google has learned to tell me the answer anyway. I've started telling Google to do things which certainly can't be done on that device. This has been going on for over a year.

Maybe I'll ask the other smart devices for help. Siri, Alexa and Hello ID (yes, I can talk to my car but can't set the weather dial for Evesham). I need your help. If all else fails I'll check-in with the dishwasher. She's out at the moment.

No comments: