Monday, April 15, 2024

Nobody expects...

Try to remember to expect the unexpected. I recall this, learned thoroughly in about 1991 or so. At St Mary and St Cuthbert, Chester-le-Street (quite a mouthful) there was a 6.30 Tuesday evening simple communion service. It attracted between 5 and 10 people, for most of whom it was the only service of the week. When it was my turn to cover the format was straightforward. We offered a 5 minute thought-for-the-day type sermon, based on one of the readings, often the Gospel. I confess that it didn't take a huge amount of preparation. At that stage in my ministry I was speaking on about 150 occasions a year and had become confident in my ability to assemble a coherent short talk at no notice.

This went well until six members of the Church of England's Liturgical Commission, meeting nearby for a working residential, pitched up unannounced. We used the readings from the previous weekend which had been Trinity Sunday. I think they might have heard better sermons on that subject over the years. They may well also have been presided over by someone more familiar with the seasonal alternatives. Maybe someone who cared.

I have tried to prepare for the unexpected ever since but must confess a wee bit of complacency might have sneaked in since retirement.

Last time I presided at Abbots Morton I had three in the congregation plus me. Humans that is. And two dogs so it was an eight all draw in legs. I was not expecting revival at Easter 2. Then, last Saturday night I received a message from the Rector:

'I am delighted to say that I have recruited two excellent readers for you...

'One is D who teaches people to do public speaking and the other is C who is a retired BBC Midlands Today journalist.'

Well that raised the stakes. I didn't cheat and over-prepare just because of the guests and I am confident in my delivery these days.

I had seven and one dog, which is pretty damn close to revival round these parts. Feedback was good. Both readings were done very well. The dog tried to bite me.

1 comment:

Martin Brown said...

Hello Steve,

I hope you are doing well and enjoying your retirement - you look busy as ever! It's Revd Martin Brown - we connected by email a few years back. I am reachable at orangeapplied@hotmail.co.uk - it would be great to hear from you - I'm still doing the same thing but from the UK now!

Blessings - Martin