Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Thinking Foreign

Students of languages will tell you that there comes a moment when you know you have 'got it' because you did not translate what you heard back into your mother tongue before replying. You were actually thinking in <insert name of language>.

Adapting to change is similar. Those of us old enough to recall the day our currency went decimal will also remember the few months/years after when we still had to calculate the price in 'old money' before we knew if it was expensive. Sample conversation:

Me: Mum, It's only 25p
Mum: That's five shillings. It's a lot of money.

Now it is second nature. For anyone under 50 it is first nature.

Likewise thinking in centigrade and kilograms. Much easier systems but how many over 40s have to translate back before we actually know how hot or heavy it is.

I'm writing this because I have had to learn, along with many others, to think in Covid. Last night I entered a bar. I knew what to do and was getting out my track and trace app (how long would it take to explain that sentence to my pre-decimal self?) when I spied some friends. Old instinct cut in and I walked straight over to them to say hello. I was hailed from the meet and greet counter that I couldn't do that until I had signed in. Old thinking. Will it become new thinking? Permanent change? Who knows?

No comments: