Monday, December 11, 2017

Advent Thought 9 and Number 11

Today is the 11th of December. On the 11th of September I sat down and breathed a deep breath. It was the first day of a three month sabbatical.

Thirteen weeks later it is over and I am back on duty. I was wise enough to leave my diary clear today so it has been a gradual dip in the ministry water.

Mainly I have been reading and archiving emails but also catching up on what has been going on. The phone has rung again. The undertakers were the second call so people have carried on needing to be buried.

I also went to the gym because I usually do that on a Monday. And one person I know said 'I thought you were supposed to be back at work'. He had a twinkle in his eye. I think.

So today is the tale of two 11s. But the interesting thought is that, on the one hand, thirteen weeks have raced by. And on the other it has been a slow autumn of reading and writing by contrast with which today is a blur and tomorrow, which has appointments in it, will feel like the merry-go-round once again.

Standing in the shadows
Where the in crowd meet

Think of your time. Which bits drag and which bits rush by? And is Advent a long or short wait?

No comments: