Thursday, December 07, 2017

Advent Thought 5 and Any Number You Like

Here's something I find hard. It's a question that begins 'What is your favourite...?' Some people seem to have a ready answer to such probing and are able to name their favourite book, film, shirt, song or food without breaking stride. Me. I go off on an internal monologue for hours, which is bad luck on the other guests at the dinner party.

You see it depends. Let's take film. How could I choose a musical over an action adventure? Or a dialogue rich narrative over a mystery? Some days I fancy The Blues Brothers to keep me company; others Where Eagles Dare. Sick on the sofa I might enjoy Pulp Fiction. One day I will watch The Sixth Sense again because I loved it but it was disturbing and I have to be in the right mood to be redisturbed. It depends.

The same sort of choice presents itself between Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and The Book Thief. Illywhacker and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Choice depends on time, place and mood.

It's not the right day for that favourite shirt. I need to wear this one.

And should I consider carefully why all my favourites seem to be the work of men?

Maybe my existential circuits are broken. Choose damn you, choose.

It's not necessarily always the same favourite in your head. Sometimes the band you're in starts playing a different tune in there. Well, mine does.

So. Do you have a favourite number? What do you do with that information? And why?

No comments: