Saturday, September 24, 2016

Music from the 1990s

I recently accepted a Facebook challenge to post a link to one 1990s tune everyday for seven days. Here are all seven:

Mike Peatman has challenged me to find 7 tracks from the 90s to share with y'all. He thinks I will find it easier than him. He's possibly right. Cracking decade of inspirational music. Maybe some of my old Chester-le-Street yoof will have an interesting take on this. How about it Paul Stockdale? My first thought was that early 90s means Madchester so here are Happy Mondays taking a 70s John Kongos tune and giving it a club vibe:


Day 2. In the 1990s I first began to realise that rap and hip-hop were worth attention. Shout out to Definition of Sound but this track combined fresh samples, funky riffage and a protest song.

Need to tag someone else every day. Got a view Andrew Smith? Take the challenge.


Day 3. I Heard this on Radio 1 when it came out and realised at least three of my favourite types of music now existed in one genre. Heard it performed live in Bristol this month at a 25th anniversary gig.

Simon Marshall is showing interest. Tag.



Day 4. In 1997 far more than three people from Brixton invented themselves as The Alabama 3 and brought out their first album Exile on Coldharbour Lane. Fusing acid-house, country and blues with a bit of D Wayne Love's spoken word they jumped to fame when this tune, which we hear them doing live in 2013, became The Sopranos' theme.

Naughty word warning in intro. 

They are a great live band. Truly great. Steve Couch loves them too. Fancy being tagged?


Day 5. Radiohead have been an enduring nineties band, innovating and re-inventing album after album. The single Creep off their first album gained popularity but second album The Bends was just a great rock collection. Until this, the final track, which presaged the soulful and reflective gorgeousness that was to be scattered throughout their next twenty years. 

Any Radiohead fan want to accept the tag today?


Day 6. No matter which decade of my music awareness you choose, my love for guitar, bass, drums and vocals jangly pop has never wavered.

I toyed with REM  and the under-rated Airhead but opted for this which was one of the first tunes Ben Tilley (fancy a go?) put me on to. Still one-hit wonders, the mighty Toad the Wet Sprocket. Bear with the ads:


This is the seventh and final day of my challenge to choose seven 90s songs in seven days. I may not have chosen my favourite seven tunes but I believe I have charted my musical education over the ten years. No Oasis/Blur for me. I always burrowed down a bit deeper than most looking for my gold. I love saying to people, 'You must hear this...'

Simon Marshall has already mentioned the idea of music which kept him company on long drives home from CPAS training evenings. In the late 90s I probably played Faithless' Sunday 8pm more than most albums.

But in the week it was John Peel 10-midnight and he introduced me to stuff I would never otherwise have heard. Shout out to Witness and Appliance (but jangly guitar already covered). Los Lobos had a great sound. Lexis (drum and bass ish) came out in 2000.

So here's an unexpected closer. Hayes and Cahill were on Later with Jools in the mid 90s and I began to hear their laments, jigs and reels in a way I had missed with other artists. Recently they performed in Nailsea and I met them. Delightful guys. There's some up-tempo stuff on The Lonesome Touch (1997) too but carry my coffin in to this.


Carry it out to any of the others from this week.

This has been quite a male task. Any women want a go?




2 comments:

Black Min said...

Download quality free Indian ringtones for 2018
The ringtone you are using is old? Want to innovate? Are you looking for a good ringtone and quality? I will introduce you to the most downloaded songs:

Jab Bhi Teri Yaad Aayegi ringtone download
Kaala BGM ringtone Download
download Kyun Na Mere ringtone here
download Limited Edition ringtone here
download Rooh ringtone here

Wish you have the ringtone you like. Hope my collection made satisfaction. Leave a comment for my collection and you can also refer to the settings for more songs here: https://bestringtonesfree.net/

Nhật Minh said...

If it comes to country music? What country would you think of? I will say is India. This country would you think of? I will say is India. This country has a lot of good Bollywood music and movies. I love their music. I have collected free Indian songs here: New ringtones download

What better way when you install it for free. Here are the songs I listen to most often and get the most recent ones:

Top 10 romantic ringtones hindi
World best ringtone
Mi gente ringtone download
Humnava mere ringtone
Let me love you ringtone

Thank you for taking note of my article. Leave a comment for my post!