The meeting is due to start at 7.45 and finish at 9.45. Opening, the chair suggests that this short agenda will not take too long and we should finish early. We over-run by twenty minutes.
A reminder to all who ever have to chair meetings containing people not likely to be energised by the meeting itself:
1. After two hours reluctant attenders will vote for anything to get home. They will have no emotional energy left.
2. Never raise expectations of a shorter meeting than usual unless you are sure you can deliver.
3. If you have to go over two hours, take a break at some point.
4. Limit the amount of time you are going to spend on trivial items.
5. Charge smaller groups of people, or individuals, with doing some tasks and reporting back if not everyone needs to be involved in a discussion now.
6. Editing is not a committee job.
7. Neither is proof-reading.