Thursday, July 18, 2013

Hot or Cold?

Which makes you more uncomfortable? Too hot or too cold? I sometimes wonder if our genetic material makes us either Roman or Viking? Scandinavian blood is likely to be happier with the cold and will find the heat unpleasant. Mediterranean, vice versa.

In winter people often get confused by my answer to the question, when I don't look sufficiently clad for the the temperature, 'Aren't you cold?' This is because I usually say 'Yes' then do nothing about it. I quite like being cold. I work well when the temperature is low. I get a creative buzz, find reading and study easy and do not invest much energy in getting comfy.

But in summer when I am hot it steals my mind. Being sweaty, sneezy (curse you hay-fever) and in permanent need of a drink stops me from doing other things. I slow down. I need to re-organise my life to include a siesta (ideally) and showers at other times of day than morning. I don't want to read because I need to fidget.

This is not a moan. I like the existence of summer because it seems to help others. I like the variety of changing seasons which help you to see the world in a different way. But frankly I'll take May and September in my world, if I ever get a chance to build it, and the bits in between can be missed.

It's going to be a beautiful day.

No comments: