Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Do They Think You're Stupid?

As a conservative, I've long believed and long felt that there is inherent media bias. And I would think anybody with objectivity would believe that's the case.

On Sunday Paul Ryan, Mitt Romney's running mate, said this.

As a subjective overseas observer it seems to me that US political campaigns are a triumph of style over substance and so nobody ever bothers to pick apart the more complex codswallop.

Let us examine this. He says, in effect:

The US media is biased.

I am biased.

If you are not biased you will think what I think.

This 'All sensible people will think the same as me' argument is often used in campaigns. If you don't unpack it you will subconsciously believe that you cannot be sensible if you disagree with this sensible-looking person. But remember - the good-looking can be wrong.

Secondly, and perhaps more interestingly, who is this objective person who has no bias in the matter of the future POTUS? Can there posibly be one?

It's nonsense. I'm sure all good-looking, sensible people will agree with me.

The title of this post is taken from an excellent book by Julian Baggini which lists 100 ways of spotting spin and nonsense from the media, pundits and politicians.

No comments: