Sunday, April 15, 2012

A Cute Systematising Male

I am not an acute systematising male. OK not that acute. But I do like to know where things are. I am strangely comforted by the existence of archives. I like it that there are lists of books I've read, movies I've seen and albums I own.

There is a difference between knowing where things are and tidiness. Quite a few men I know work in squalor but know, geologically at any rate, where things are. I am a bit too cluttered for my own liking (study not big enough to be an office and a library) but pretty ordered.

Put the files you reach for most often in different coloured folders so they stand out.

I have been saying Morning Prayer at 8.30 on a Wednesday morning with a different group of people over the last few months. It has become the hinge-point of my week. I am not especially fond of Morning Prayer - it is simply something I do - it is a marker. After Wednesday's is over I know where I am. Or should that be when I am?

I can be more interested in the variety of people I know than in the people. They can be like the contents of a 'people I have met' list.

Being at my desk, gently thinking, planning and allowing God to overhear should he wish to, early on a Sunday morning has become the norm. I like it (but need to schedule a snooze at 4-5p.m.). Twitter has put me in touch with others doing the same. It is a new sort of fellowship; silent and distant communion.

It prepares me for the real people who are, to some extent, an intrusion into my private magic. And not to treat them like that.

Thoughts settled now. Everything in its right place. Lovely. Off we go.

No comments: