Monday, March 05, 2012

Preaching Support Group 3

What makes a good visual aid?

A good visual aid is something that will help people remember the 5% of the talk you really want them to recall.

Great questions to ask as you prepare:

1. Is there a story I can tell? Jesus told great stories.

2. Is there a quotation I can use? Jesus used many quotations. Sometimes positively (e.g. when tempted in the wilderness); sometimes negatively or to expand upon - 'You have heard it said... but I say...'

3. Is there a picture I can paint? Paul uses many images in his seemingly dry passages.

How would you illustrate:

God's justice (Romans 2:1-2)

Sin (Romans 3:23)

Redemption (Romans 3:24)

God's love (Romans 6:23 or 8:38-39)

If each of your main points has a story, a quotation and a picture you are doing well. You could also add a question. It also means you can omit one of them if you're running over.

4. Which sense am I appealing to? The best order of memory triggers is probably:

Taste, smell, touch, sight, hearing

The order a sermon uses is usually:

Hearing, sight...

Ancient Proverb (it may or may not be Chinese)

I hear and I forget

I see and I remember

I do and I understand.


No comments: