Friday, September 24, 2010

Love Come To Town

A few weeks ago Somerfield (latterly Co-op) supermarket sold out and left. Somerfield, Nailsea was the sort of place you could film a zombie movie simply by recording in real time with the regular crowd. It was slow and had a smoker's complexion. There was too much salt in the sandwiches.

After just six weeks we have a bright, friendly, well-stocked Waitrose. The green and grey clad, share-owning staff have a sense of urgency and purpose. I went for a Guardian and some skimmed milk. I bought a Guardian, some Duchy, organic skimmed milk, a bottle of English sparkling wine, two bars of fair-trade chocolate and some individually cut and crimped balsamic vinegar and sea salt crisps each of which has been butterfly kissed by an attractive blond checking clerk. I may have imagined this last bit but they are expensive crisps and will still kill me slowly.

Anyway £30 spent against a £1.85 budget so it's not looking good. Also they had run out of sandwiches at 3.30 p.m. so I bought a pasty. There are not enough car park spaces in Nailsea for all the people who now want to visit. It is a good retail experience if such is possible. Maybe walking there would be good and keep my purchases down to what I can carry.

We're not buzzing and happening yet but if the rumoured W.H. Smiths, Wetherspoons and Cargo happen then who knows. Who knows.

6 comments:

Dennis said...

Cargo rumour? You may know more than others.

Caroline Too said...

things are looking up, st... I remember you telling a story of a visit to a Waitrose sometime ago where they didn't stock the Grauniad... "no call for it here" I remember you being told.

Steve Tilley said...

That was John Lewis but well remembered take a bonus point.

RuthJ said...

Oh yes, oh yes, and if only. After 20 years of watching the Nailsea shopping centre go steadily downhill (would you believe when we moved here there was a department store - with two depts irrc, men's and women's!!) this is the first breath of hope we have had. Come on, Cargo!

CM said...

You wot! - are you likening some of the people of Nailsea to zombies??

Steve Tilley said...

I think I did. No offence.