Thursday, December 31, 2009

New for the Noughties 7

In the early days of my attempting to write fiction, about 1993 onwards, I used to book a day off work, collect together my stuff and amble down to Leamington library. I had an idea for a book set in an old house near where I lived which was, by then, just a heap of rubble but had had an interesting history. Helpful librarians dug out old reference books and maps for me.

With the onset of the internet a few methods for searching online grew up. Yahoo had a good one and 'Ask Jeeves' looked for a while as if it would become the best. Then, one day, someone said across the desks, 'Have you tried Google?' I did. Within months it had become the only search engine I ever used and it still is.

Google could now, quite easily, run my online life and, of course, their sign-in account is how I access my blog and share my calendar.

I haven't been to the library in Nailsea yet, apart from to join in 2006. Research? No need to leave your desk any more.

Do remember to get some exercise today.

No comments: