Thursday, December 18, 2008

Advent Thought 19

Do you know what I hate? Actually, it's quite a long list and I rarely share it. But here's one thing. I hate those conversational tics - 'You Know' or 'D'yer know wharimean?' Drive me mad.

The one that really annoys me? 'To be honest.' Why, I wonder, are you telling me something 'to be honest.' Were you previously considering dishonesty?

But that's not the real reason. Oh no. The real reason is far worse. I hate it because, get this, I say it myself. I hate myself when I say it but I still say it. It's out before I can stop it to be honest. Damn.

So what annoys you that other people do because it draws attention to you having the same fault? Or hadn't you noticed?

3 comments:

Rob Cook said...

To be honest, going forward into the future, the phrase I would love to abolish (even more than those two) is "the fact of the matter is". But have you noticed the increasing number of interviewees who say "John, the fact of the matter is, is." Especially when you know that it almost certainly isn't, isn't even a fact let alone the fact.

Rant over!

RHK said...

Well, to be pacific....

The Home Sekkertary said....

The presenter who refers to his Sunday morning programme as 'Brawcasting House'....

These don't quite fit into the category of things one says oneself...

But, as the ineffable Mavid Riley might have twittered: 'Ooh, Rita, isn't it good to get it off your chest?'

Kathryn said...

Yes, I'm with Mr Gnome...my bete noirs are "prostrate cancer" and (a particular problem as it's the Reader here that says it) laws and statues...
Though there is another clergywoman in this diocese who drives me mad because she is SO in your face, a bit like a golden retriever on speed...except then I realise that in some situations, I tend to resemble...yup...a golden retriever on speed.