Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Roxy Music Story

Very much enjoyed this documentary on BBC4 last night. It was in a wet field in May 1972 that I experienced six of the most weirdly-dressed guys I've ever seen playing unpindownable music. It was the combination of ostrich feathers and synthesisers that did it, I recall.

Returning home I couldn't hum a single song from memory but knew I had to buy their stuff. The first single, Virginia Plain, I think I still know word-for-word. 'You're so sheer, you're so chic, teenage rebel of the week.' Remarkably they then put out an album which didn't have the single on it.

I wrote out the lyrics of In Every Dream Home a Heartache from their second album and pinned them to the wall.

'They're good,' said friend Larry, 'but not that good.' He was wrong. It is still the best song about an inflatable sex-aid ever penned. 'I blew up your body; but you blew my mind.'

I saw Roxy several more times and my interest wained a bit post-Eno (who remains one of my all-time heroes for sheer consistent creativity over many genres and years).

I will now go and find some vinyl.

2 comments:

Mike Peatman said...

Glad to hear you can still spin the disks for the pop pickers. So can I

Anonymous said...

'Virginia Plain' is also notable for the fact that the title only occurs once in the lyrics, and that being the final line of the song. I can only think of one other song that shares that distinction ('Up the Junction' by Squeeze). Can you add any more examples of this rare lyrical phenomenon?