Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Names of Clothes

Speaking to a group (help, collective noun crisis) of women on Saturday I made the mistake of suggesting to my wife that if she was cold I might go and get her cardy. The indignation from the ladies that I should call her evening shoulder covering a cardy was loud and long.

Since every woman in the bunch/flock/gaggle was wearing some sort of shoulder covering I ventured to ask if, for my education, we might go round the circle and 'name that covering.' Well, we had shrugs, wraps, 'dressy cardigans' and a number of other names for garments that were, by and large, achieving similar functions. I pride myself in being unusual for a bloke in being able to tell a mule from a sandal but clearly I have a long way to go.

Is there a web-site?

No comments: