Ecclesiastical inertia. An event continues to be constrained by circumstances which no longer apply. E.g. an afternoon meeting finishes at 3.25 p.m. so members can pick up their children from school even though the average age of the group is now 68 and all children have finished their education.
What forces of inertia are exerting themselves in your church or meeting?
- Start times? Was it fixed by some constraint no longer present? Would another time help people to join?
- Locations? Do you still meet in the best possible place? Do you imagine that you cannot move your church or meeting?
- Raw materials? What are they? Where are they?
- Names? Are you called something which hides your true purpose or only makes sense to those on the inside? Does your group do what it says on the tin?
- Purpose? Have you done what you set out to do? Do you need to finish, or do something else?