Wednesday, December 20, 2006

5 Things You Probably Didn't Know About Me

I've been tagged by David Keen. This is a wee game to pass the time as we while away the hours waiting for Christmas in this quiet period of the year. David was tagged by Ruth Gledhill of The Times (show-off). Her piece here explains the game.

So I have to tell you all five things you may not know about me and tag five more people. OK here goes. Some of you will know some of these:

1. I was a ball-boy at the longest ever Davis Cup doubles tennis match of all time. Since this was pre tie-breaks it is unlikely ever to be beaten. It was GB v West Germany in 1969, Cox and Curtis v Bunghert and Kuhnke at Edgbaston Priory Tennis Club. My school French teacher Mr Tomlinson was a keen tennis player and he got us the gig. Two sets went to more than 30 games; one ended something like 26-24.

2. I lost my two front teeth in a car accident on the way to the League Cup final in 1970. I still have the ticket for the game with the stub attached. This was a disappointment although since West Brom lost 2-1 to Man City after extra time I am, with hindsight, glad not to have been there, although I still miss the teeth.

3. My sister Jacquie is a talented graphic designer and runs her own business Tilley Associates based in Clapham. I am very proud of her and probably don't tell her often enough. She takes supermodels to distant islands to get the sunlight right for shoots.

4. A short story of mine, A Day at the Cemetery was broadcast on Radio 4 a few years ago. Whilst this was the one and only time I crashed national radio it encouraged me greatly that I had written to Radio 4 short story standard, once.

5. I really don't enjoy telephoning people, at all. If I can put off a phone call I will. If I can replace it by dropping round or writing I will. I can't put my finger on why this is.

There we go then. I think I'll tag:

Finker, Mike, Kathryn, Mel and Fotofill.

I chose these people because I thought they might enjoy it and because they drop into my blog often enough for me not to have to bother emailing them just now.

2 comments:

David Keen said...

I'm exactly the same as you on 5, and no, I don't know why either.

Steve Tilley said...

Give me a call to talk about it.