Thursday, July 13, 2006

Courtesy

My mobile rings. Not a recognised number so I use my normal greeting.

Hello Steve Tilley speaking.

Sound of pub/cafe/bar noise in background. Assume one of my friends has dialled by accident with phone still in pocket. Listen for interesting dialogue with blackmail possibilities. Then I hear a girl's voice, quite loud...

Oo?

I repeat...

Hello Steve Tilley speaking.

I hear...

Don' wan' 'im.

And then the call is terminated. I feel vaguely violated. Someone dialled my number in error and all they can say, to their friends sitting around presumably, is, 'Don' wan' 'im.' All glotal and gob.

This may be a grumpy old man moment but it happens to me more than most, I guess because, more than most I engage several people in conversation at the same time and find witty replies to my comments are often made for the entertainment of friends at my expense. Youth worker history you see.

Doing 'vulnerable' is a tough call but it is easier when it is deliberate. How do you know you don't want me? I'm witty, erudite, good company, buy drinks and know the secret of life. You so missed out.

4 comments:

Stewart said...

You buy drinks? Since when?

Mike Peatman said...

At least you don't know what she didn't want you for.

Steve Tilley said...

Stewart. Can I buy you a drink?

Anonymous said...

You can buy me a drink