Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Winning and Racism

My friend once denounced the end of board games as, 'That terrible feeling of disappointment when you've won.' He is in the habit of playing 9 hour board games such as 1829 where the satisfaction is in the discussion, the comradeship and winning really doesn't matter terribly much.

Have we British found a way to be non-competitively competitive? Who really cares who is the winner of Have I Got News For You or The News Quiz or Just a Minute or They Think It's All Over etc. The fun is in the watching but we seem to need to have a competition.

I say 'we British' but it has been occupying my thoughts recently as to who or what is British. Welsh friend found himself quizzing a Veritas election candidate.

'How far back would you go in sending people 'home'? 1950s West Indians?
Yes.
Irish refugees from the early twentieth century?
Yes.
Dutch and Hugenots in the eighteenth century?
Yes.
So presumably the descendants of Normans, Vikings and Romans must go too?
Er?
Well you see if they do then us Welsh Celts can have our country back and you lot can all clear off.

Is a Veritas candidate a veritable ass?

I gather my surname was originally French, changed from Tillé to Tilley but I'm not sure when we got here. My nose has to be Roman. Perhaps I could be repatriated to Gozo; it's warm there.

No comments: