Saturday, August 09, 2003

Weather

What sort of weather would make us Brits happy in Britain? Perhaps a constant 20 degrees with a light breeze and a sharp shower to water the plants between 4 and 5 a.m. A cool autumn with a slightly harsher wind to get the leaves down and blow them into neat piles followed by a mild winter until one agreed week below freezing around Christmas with a light covering of proper snow that never turns to ice or slush. Then a cool but mild early spring followed by a constant twenty degrees and a light breeze May to September with perhaps one cloudy day a week as a nice change.

I have never cared about the weather. I love the variety and the sense of unknown each day brings. In this hot spell I am sitting in my airless study sweating but it isn't a problem. I have a tap full of water and a shower plus plenty of clean clothes. My health club has a nice pool.

In this country we like complaining and queuing. Football season starts today. No complaints.

No comments: