Tuesday, September 01, 2020

Thought for the Day

As delivered to BBC Radio Bristol this morning:

Many hymns include a line such as 'Come down O love divine'. The desire that God would visit his people in person. Tongues of fire optional.

In my short career in insurance ages ago I ended up in a claims department where one of the tasks was to put a value on human suffering. How much for a broken arm? A lost tooth? A scar on the face? The death of a child?

Complex questions - careful calculations.

People are pretty hopeless at assessing risk. It is several times less risky for your child to walk to school alone as it is to take them in a car. In fact the biggest danger to children walking to school alone is people in cars. Pedestrians are still in a less risky position than passengers.

Recently I have had to work with colleagues on risk assessments. As have teachers and school admin staff. Many of you will have done that in the places where you work.

We ask questions such as:

How likely is the risk to happen?
How serious would the consequences be?

We all embrace a certain amount of risk in our lives. The trick is to avoid any possibility of risks with serious consequences and to minimise risks with minor consequences.

So my heart goes out to those supervising students in the new mask-wearing, socially distanced world we inhabit. Respect.

But singing a song inviting God to visit his people in person? Are you sure you want to take that risk?

1 comment:

Mark B said...

I am going to apologise to you now Steve. I have been following your blog for a few years now. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Love the music and stuff along with the theology etc. I have however posted a few replies to your posts which have been critical of your (sometimes) liberal views on faith.I am sorry because I know you are searching for truth (as I am). Just get a bit mixed up sometimes.

Your latest post is pivotal though re; wanting God to show up. I want it, You want it. But who else actually wants God to show up now? People in the cities? In the pubs and factories? In Nailsea? (I live in Portsmouth).People seem to be doing reasonably well without God so why bother.
Another fine mess we've got ourselves into!